When a couple is in love and preparing to get married, one of the last things on their mind is divorce. Most people are unaware that almost half of all married couples, in the United States, get divorced. One way a couple can protect their assets is to sign a prenuptial agreement before they tie-the-knot. A San Francisco prenuptial agreement attorney can help you protect your assets and avoid unpleasant legal disputes, in the future, if your marriage ends in divorce.
What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
A prenuptial agreement (or prenup) is an agreement made by a couple, before they marry, about the ownership of their assets in the event their marriage fails.
Why should engaged couples sign a prenuptial agreement?
Often times, people consider a prenup as a sign of lack of trust. In reality, a couple who signs a prenuptial agreement indicates that their relationship is mature and based on love and trust.
Here are a few good reasons to consider signing a prenuptial agreement before getting married.
- Protect your income and assets.
- Obligations and debts are kept separately.
- A prenup helps reduce the chances of conflict. When a couple signs a prenup, they are less likely to fight over the allocation of assets during a divorce.
- Signing a prenup protects both spouses’ financial future, such as your pension, retirement funds and inheritance.
- A prenup gives you peace of mind. A couple doesn’t have to worry about being ‘left with nothing’ when they get a divorce.
Contact Us Today!
Schedule a consultation with a San Francisco prenuptial agreement lawyer, to learn how a prenuptial agreement can help protect your future. Give us a call at: (415) 956-0999. We help secure the future of couples in San Francisco, Oakland and across the Bay Area.